Friday, August 24, 2012

Why Switch to a Touchscreen Phone?


Around a year or two ago, I was quite skeptical on the hullaballoo about touchscreen phones. I couldn’t see the point why mobile phone manufacturers would release such futuristic yet way off tangent devices. I was hostile towards the thought of seeing them hit the shelves; much so to the idea of owning one. Like any other buzzworthy gizmo, I predicted the fad would die right away.
But fast forward to 2012 – I am now a happy and satisfied touchscreen phone user and I couldn’t wait to lay my hands on a new one. I witnessed how touchscreen technology immediately grew into the preferred means of controlling mobile devices, most notably, the smartphone. The massive growth in the touchscreen smartphone
industry has prompted a lot of consumers to migrate to this ever-growing mobile computing arena.
First, you have to understand that I’ve been a feature phone user for the past five years. I started with those little rectangular ones, which served as my PDA and portable media player aside from being my trusty web browser for emergency situations (they were mostly 3G capable, but I had to closely monitor my data usage because of exorbitant fees from my carrier). Then I switched to a number smartphones with full QWERTY keyboards. The ones I used could be classified as high end models since I wanted to make sure that I’m getting the most computing power out of these babies – so much for being a heavy mobile phone user. But then, I decided to take the risk because being a self-confessed utilitarian, I thought I was not getting the most out of the usual QWERTY smartphone models that I owned.
If you haven’t decided to make the move yet, then you must read on. Treat this write-up as an attempt to convince you into purchasing your first smartphone. I’m speaking from my own experience here as a late adopter; so expect me to discuss it in the most practical way I can.
I wanted a lighter mobile phone.
QWERTY phones are usually heavier or bulkier than most touchscreen phones because of the presence of a physical keyboard. I’ve had a 180g smartphone that’s around 15mm thick; and I’ve quit using its sliding keyboard long ago. I can’t lug it around that much and I can’t really put it in my pocket since it makes me look like I have a lump on my thigh. Worse, I kept on bumping onto things – that’s the biggest drawback I had. With my first touchscreen phone, I quickly felt the convenience such a device brings. I can place it in my pocket without looking like I was carrying one since it was lightweight and stylish.
I wanted to be more productive.
Unlike feature phones or QWERTY smartphones, touchscreens are a lot better in terms of usability, features, and trappings. They are precisely good to have, because they have spacious screens you can make use of with nothing more than a finger or a stylus (or both). Plus, apps are a dime a dozen. Some of the fully touchscreen customized apps I truly enjoyed include note-taking apps like Evernote and Note Taker HD, the business phone app from VoIP provider RingCentral, and powerful mobile browsers such as Dolphin. Additionally, upgrades are released on a regular basis so I can get all the latest bells and whistles for my phone’s OS.
I want an all-in-one device.
Most people would say, “If you want to watch movies or listen to music, get a media player. If you want to take photos, get a camera.” But unlike orthodox tech users, I am admittedly a tightwad techno freak. Why should I bother about carrying multiple devices when I can have it all?
Familiarity and adaptation to touchscreen phones may take time for some, but once you get your hands into one, you’d quickly realize how user-friendly and indispensible it is to your everyday life – just like how I’ve come into terms with it. And it is for these reasons why I want you to switch to a touchscreen phone. Even though you hear a lot of people say that touchscreen phones suck, then why the hell do manufacturers keep on making them? And why do they sell like pancakes? If you could answer that question, then I’ll stop right here.